Friday, November 19, 2010

Worrying Is Not A Part Of Your New Nature

A few months ago in my quiet time, I distinctly heard the Holy Spirit say, "Stop Worshiping at the Altar of Worry!"  Boy, talk about something that will get your attention...I never knew such a place existed! I was engaging in the wrong kind of worship! Truth be told, I have been known to worry from time to time (I know you have never had that problem, but I have - after all we're not talking about you - at least I don't think we are). Anyway, this is what I have discovered: whenever I give myself over to worry, I have given the enemy access to bombard my soul (mind, will, emotions) with all types of distraction. After all, worry leads to more worry. To choose to remain in unbelief (that's what worrying is) and give one's self over to meditate on circumstances gives the enemy a legal right to torment. Unbelief pleases the enemy, giving him something he can work with, in the same manner that Faith pleases God.

The Word of God has equipped us to combat any and every onslaught from the enemy. Whenever we open the door to any thought contrary to the Father's will for our life, the enemy rushes in. The devil is legalistic and he will take what you give him, but that's all he can take. He cannot take what is not legally his. Here's an example: If we choose to meditate on the present circumstances, that gives the devil room to give you more thoughts of despair, to show you and to tell you how hopeless things are and how they will never change. His mission is to destroy your hope. Hope is the bridge from Love to Faith. The enemy knows that we have received a taste of the Father's Love at the New Birth. If we continue to move forward into the place of the Agape of God where mature Love is, we will abide in Faith. His plan is to get you to abort - to stop before you get there. He knows what the result will be because he has seen it so many times from observing the many heroes of Faith over the course of human history.

This sounds strange to hear or to say, but our enemy "believes" more than we do! He knows the power of the Word, Worship, praying in the Spirit and Fasting. He knows the potential of the seed planted within us. So we combat him through praying in the Spirit, Fasting, Worship and the Word. Why do you think the trials and temptations come? To steal the seed! What is the seed? The Word of God that we have received! You see, the Word of God was planted in our spirit at the New Birth, translating that part of us - our spirit - from spiritual Death to Life; from darkness to light:

The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. [Ps. 119:130]

It is at that point that saving Grace through Faith becomes a part of our life:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. [Rom. 10:17]

Now the Faith that comes, or enters, has to work so that we may operate as true sons and daughters:

...faith which worketh by love. [Gal. 5:6b]

Remember the Word of God says the just - that's you - live by Faith (Hab. 2:4; Rom. 1:17; Gal. 3:11; Heb. 10:38). If we operate in worry or torment, our Faith is stifled. Therefore we are encouraged to remain rooted and grounded in the Word of God:

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love [Eph. 3:17]

and to keep ourselves in the Love of God (Jude 21). Otherwise, Faith cannot be fully operational. That's why we count it all joy (James 1:2) when trials come - it shows us that we're on the right path! Have you ever noticed why there's such a fight in our lives before a great spiritual breakthrough? The devil doesn't want to give up any ground! Keep moving forward - remember, the devil is a defeated foe!

In closing, I'll leave you with this thought - something I heard recently in a message from Gary Carpenter (he's someone I reference a lot - I highly recommend his teachings - here's two links where you can listen to his teachings for free: http://www.garycarpenter.org/ and http://iktusnetmedia.com/c/Audio_-_Gary_Carpenter.html ). It's not a direct quote, but he said something to this effect: "Not all believers are Christians." Sobering, isn't it? Be aware that the devil himself and all the other fallen angels are also "believers" (James 2:19). Also bear in mind that a true "Christian," one who is considered "Christ-like" is a disciplined follower of Christ. We are called to be disciplined followers. Another must-listen series is by Pastor Jim Martin from Dayton, OH. He's currently teaching on discipleship. Here's the link: http://www.winterlive.com/grace/ (they're archived videos).

Keep pressing towards the mark - Jesus Himself, the author and finisher of our Faith. Be encouraged!

2 comments:

  1. I used to be a champion worrier. Somehow many years ago it kicked in that the enemy is a liar. I also realized how excellent he can paint pictures of POSSIBILITIES of what COULD or MIGHT happen. I had to train my mind to NOT wander and ponder about negative stuff. It was rare if anything I was worrying about happened. I cannot really remember one thing that did. After observing this a few times I knew I was dealing with a being that can only use distractions aka fear aka worry. I decided to only deal with what actually happened. I felt a lot of wasted energy was being exerted with painted pictures of LIES from the enemy. We do not have to let our mind be taken like that. We can choose what we think about. I am so grateful for that. We do not have to be in a mental prison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An other of your great BLOGS Nigel. I have never been a worrying person, Praise the Lord, but I fully understand the battle worrying persons have to fight almost daily.
    Victory is in renewing our mind, in being transformed by the Love of God.

    ReplyDelete